Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Thanks-"giving"??

One aspect of worship that I seem to ignore is in the act of living out worship in my daily life. I know I am not alone in this...go ahead...admit it! We all would like nothing more than to do our weekly duty of "going to church" and then leave the worship on the church steps. I guess that's one of the reasons the apostle Paul tells us to "...present our bodies as living sacrifices..." which is our "...spiritual act of worship." If it wasn't a sacrifice it would be easy!

Well Thanksgiving Day is just around the corner and my family and I have decided that we are going try to live out our faith and worship a little more actively this year. We are hosting the traditional Thanksgiving meal with family all coming and we will probably eat more than we should, but because of conflicting schedules of our extended family we are having the "meal" on the Saturday following Thanksgiving. Since we won't be doing anything on Thanksgiving Day we have decided to try and find a soup kitchen or homeless shelter in the area to serve. We aren't completely sure where we are going to go; possibly in Springfield, but we have a couple weeks to find something. I'll keep you posted on what we decided to do. I know this is small and a lot of people tend to feel "generous" during the holiday season and then forget about the homeless and marginalized society the rest of the year. I certainly hope that this will be a starting point for our family, not merely a suave to make us just feel better for the short holiday season.

On a related topic, I was moved, recently, by a video that Sarah McLachlan produced on which she spent $150,000.00, but it literally cost only $15 to produce the video. She then donated the remaining $149,985 to help the homeless, starving and uneducated people of the world. You can watch the video, below. I hope you appreciate this as much as I did!




Note: This blog has been edited to correct my challenged mathmatic abilities...the original post had the Sarah M. donating $135,000 instead of $149,985. Oops!

No comments: